Updated: Nov 17
I wanted to share a few tips to help make your next tattoo appointment a lot less panful for both you and your tattoo artist.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs the day of, and preferably the day before your appointment.
This includes cannabis… the day of, or right before your tattoo.
- Refrain from using caffeine prior to your appointment.
- Tell your Artist if you are taking blood thinners or Aspirin based pain killers.
- Get a good night's sleep leading up to your appointment.
- Drink lots of water in the hours prior to your appointment. Hydrated skin will retain ink a
lot better and will also hurt less.
- Have a big meal before your appointment; calories are your friend in this case. They'll
assist your body in dealing with the stress. Don't worry, you'll burn them off even sitting
- Focus on breathing during your tattoo. Staying as relaxed as possible will help you find
your happy place.
- Consider music and games on your phone as a distraction.
- Communication with your Artist is key! Don't be afraid to speak up if you're
uncomfortable, need a break, or have any other issues.
- Don't put pressure on yourself; anticipation can be a burden. There's no need to worry
about how long you can sit. A tattoo appointment can range from 20 minutes to 6 plus
We as Artists would love to finish in one sitting, however, this is not always possible due to many factors. When you're at your limit… time to stop for that day. 🙂 You can reschedule an appointment to finish things up at a later date.
I'm sure I've missed a few things, but these are the basics to help make your next tattoo
appointment go as smoothly as possible. Feel free to comment below to add any tips you may have!
Much love everyone!